National Blue Collar Day on Dec. 8 is the perfect time to celebrate a hardworking group of people who are the backbone of the economy and play an important role in the success of both large and small businesses. Express Employment Professionals is proud to celebrate and put blue collar workers to work in Light Industrial and Skilled Trades roles.
Blue collar workers are typically described as people who perform skilled and manual labor in industries such as agriculture, automotive services, construction, maintenance, manufacturing, transportation, or utilities. Learn about the influence of these hardworking employees in U.S. and Canada in Express’ 2022 white paper. Check out the video below for a quick overview of typical jobs in this industry.
National Blue Collar Day History
While National Blue Collar Day has only been celebrated for a few years, the history of recognizing workers goes back nearly 200 years. Check out these interesting facts from NationalToday.com:
- 1866: The National Labor Union is established in the U.S.
- 1882: The first Labor Day holiday was celebrated on Sept. 5 with 10,000 workers joining the festivities.
- 1924: The term “blue collar” is first used. The phrase is used to classify those performing manual labor jobs and who would typically wear blue denim as part of their uniform.
- 2019: Todd Sohn establishes National Blue Collar Day to raise awareness about blue collar jobs and their contributions to society.
- Job Outlook: Blue collar workers represent more than 80% of all Americans, and their numbers are growing.
If you’re looking for a Light Industrial or Skilled Trades position, Express can help.
Express Employment Professionals is the second largest Industrial Staffing provider in the U.S., and we’ve put more than 10 million people to work worldwide during our 40 years in the staffing industry. If you’re on the hunt for a Light Industrial or Skilled Trades role, we can help. Contact your local Express office, download the ExpressJobs app from your mobile store, or fill out our online contact form to get started.